Simple and Healthy Breakfast to Kick Start Your Day!July 31 2017
When we write a “To Do List” for the day, we often forget about us. Literary speaking, one would need all the energy and concentration to deliver 100%! Breakfast is the first meal of the day with all the health benefits the body needs to run throughout the day. When we take time to eat our breakfast, we benefit from;
- Long term health as it reduces high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease
- Improved memory, a cognitive function.
- Increased energy that helps the body in performing better and reduce fatigue.
Below is a simple, wholesome breakfast recipe to fuel you up for the day;
Granola with Yogurt and Grapes
- ½ cup of granola
- ½ cup halved green and red grapes (seedless)
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt (use flavored if preferred)
Divide the yogurt between two bowls, and top up with the granola and grapes.
(This is a serving for two, which takes you total of 5 minutes to prepare)
Nutritional information per Serving; Calories-269, Fat 6g, Sat Fat 3g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 214mg, Protein 15g, Carbohydrate 40g, Sugar 29g, Fiber 1.5g, Iron 1mg, Calcium 460mg.
Easy Bake Granola (6 servings)
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- ½ cup of unsweetened grated coconut
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup of unsalted dried nuts such as peanuts, cashew nuts, or seeds such as sunflower or sesame.
- Two tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried fruits such as raisins, currants, cranberries, and cherries.
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl mix the oats, almonds, nuts, seeds, coconut and salt with maple syrup, and canola oil.
- Heat oven to 180° C/350° F, and pour in the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and level evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once using a wooden cooking spoon, until golden and crisp.
- Add the dried fruits and mix. Let cool.
- Store in an airtight container for the week.
Enjoy your easy, quick fix breakfast!