Yummy and Healthy Sunday Recipe : Banana and Spinach PancakesNovember 12 2017
These hearty banana and spinach pancakes can be whipped up in just 25 minutes and are best served with yoghurt and berries.
0:15 Prep | 0:25 Cook | Makes 15 | Easy
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 125ml (1/2 cup) plant-based milk of choice
- 25g baby spinach or frozen spinach, slightly thawed
- 15 fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 50g (1/2 cup) almond meal
- 60g (1/2 cup) buckwheat flour
- 40g (1 ⁄2 cup) desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Virgin coconut oil or butter, to fry
- Full-fat plain unsweetened yoghurt
- Pure maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Mixed berries of choice, to serve
- Fresh passionfruit pulp, to serve
- Mixed seeds, finely chopped, to serve
- Step 1
Place the eggs, bananas, milk, spinach and mint, if using, in a blender. Blend until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a jug and leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Step 2
Heat a little coconut oil or butter in a 20cm non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Whisk the batter, then ladle 1/4 cup for each pancake into the pan (you should be able to cook about 4 pancakes at a time). Fry for about 1 1/2 minutes or until small bubbles appear on the surface and the bases are golden.
- Step 3
Carefully flip each pancake with a spatula and fry the other side for a further minute or until golden. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter (you may need to reduce the heat slightly after the first batch).
- Step 4
Serve topped with a dollop of yoghurt, a drizzle of maple syrup, some berries and passionfruit pulp, and a sprinkling of chopped seeds.
Recipe by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindhal from the Green Kitchen At Home cookbook / Taste.com.au