Yummy and Healthy Sunday Recipe: Spiced Kohlrabi Fritters with Tahini Yoghurt DressingOctober 22 2017
These golden fritters are a great way to introduce children to the vegetable kohlrabi.
0:15 Prep | 0:20 Cook | 4 Servings | Easy
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 (about 400g) kohlrabi, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 1 egg
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 250g (1 cup) Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
Place the cumin seeds in a small frying pan over low heat. Cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Transfer to a bowl. Add the cardamom and turmeric. Add the kohlrabi, carrot, onion and coriander and toss to combine. Add the egg and flour and stir to combine. Add the milk and stir to combine. Season well with salt and pepper.
Heat the ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Spoon three 1/4-cupfuls of mixture around the edge of the pan. Use a spatula to flatter to 8cm discs. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat in 3 more batches with remaining fritters.
Combine the yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide fritters among serving plates. Top with yoghurt. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and coriander, if desired.
Original recipe by Sarah Hobbs for Taste Australia.
Photography by Jeremy Simons