Recipe: Gluten Free Peach & Chicken SaladSeptember 26 2014
Ok, we have had a couple of breakfast solutions recently….what about this one for a nice alternative for lunch or a light dinner…
Gluten Free Peach & Chicken Salad
- 4 single chicken breast fillets, approximately 800g
- Light olive oil spray
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 400 g small new potatoes, quartered
- 150 g low fat plain or Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 C of finely chopped shallots
- 1 small orange zested and juiced
- 3 medium tomatoes, trimmed, quartered
- 600 g ripe peaches or nectarines, hulled, quartered
- 1 large cucumber or 3 small cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthways, chopped
- 1/3 C finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 200 g baby spinach or salad leaves
Make it healthier…
To lower the glycemic index (GI) of this recipe try substituting the new potatoes with orange sweet potato or Carisma potatoes
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until just cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly grease a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken breasts with pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 5 -10 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Turn up heat to high and pour in balsamic vinegar. Allow to slightly caramalise but not burn. Remove chicken and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing thickly across the grain. Keep juice in pan.
- In a cup combine yoghurt, juice from pan, shallots, orange juice and zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl add tomatoes, peaches, cucumber, mint and potato. Add yoghurt dressing and toss. Now add salad leaves and gently fold in to avoid crushing them.
- Divide salad amongst bowls and top with slices of chicken. (Remember, only the equivalent of 1 small potato and 150g peaches per person to stay within the carbohydrate allowance).
Share your thoughts!!